Welcome to Zoology Department Page
- Year of Establishment 1983
- Name of Programs/courses offered: Sc Zoology (with special paper-Human Genetics)
- Interdisciplinary courses –open course; Reproductive health & sex education.
Details of Infrastructural facilities ( Library/ ICT/ Laboratory/ Instrumentation)
- An equipped lab having instruments to conduct physiological, biochemical, ecological and basic molecular biology works important instruments (Microscope, Centrifuge, spectrophotometer, colorimeter, electrophoretic apparatus, Soxhlet apparatus etc).
- Museum having preserved specimens from various groups of Chordates and non-chordates
- Library having books on various interdisciplinary areas of life science as anatomy, molecular biology, genetics, environmental biology, biochemistry, biostatistics etc.
- A huge collection of charts visualizing morphological, cytological or anatomical processes.
- A projector and interactive board for handling ICT Learning Methods/
- Audio Visual aids -CDs containing animated biological process and power points, charts, microscopic slides, animals, models
Student Enrichment Programs
- Seminars, Field visit, scientific institutional and Human genetic center visit, Environmental awareness Campaigning
Participation in institutional social responsibility and extension activities
- Environmental awareness campaigning including anti plastic/ waste disposal at source level, conservation of nature and resources.
- Biodiversity register preparations.
- Blood grouping Services;awareness on blood transfusion and donation.
- Providing coaching classes for Common admission Tests in Life Sciences.
- Development of Eco Friendly Campus.
- Providing awareness to bioinformatics programs.
- Social responsibility – Visit to Homes for people with neuromotor disability centres (Human genetics)- Giving aids of service/finance.
- Women empowerment through ornamental fish culture.
- Cleaning the campus and removing plastic wastes in nearby roads.
- Awareness classes on health and hygiene to nearby schools.
- Minor UGC funded- (Completed) PI- Dr. Lekshmi R Chandran
- Major (KSCSTE) PI- Dr Sreedevi N Kutty
Major Events Organized by the department
- “Biology in Silica” –Bioinformatics Concepts, Skills and Applications,- sponsored by UGC – January 2012
- “Nature camp”- Kerala forest and Wildlife department Feb 2012
- Seminar on Biodiversity & Environment -2013- sponsored by college PTA
- Blood grouping camp; AIDS awareness seminar and rally in collaboration with NSS units-2014
- National Seminar- Science popular lectures as part of national Science day sponsored by KERALA STATE COUNCIL FOR SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT February 2015-16
- Environmental Day Observation sponsored by KERALA STATE COUNCIL FOR SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT – Seminar, Quiz, painting competition.
- Wetland day celebration- sponsored by KERALA STATE COUNCIL FOR SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT
- Ozone day celebration
- For students- can choose Interdisciplinary subjects for PG – MSc in Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Biochemistry, molecular Biology.
- For teachers- as our college situated in remote economically/ socially/ literary backward area, teachers can develop, encourage or equip students to main streams of society.
- For research- Environmentally significant are where the college resides having rich biodiversity and offer virgin unexplored areas help to gather information on biodiversity. (Nelliyampathy hills, Parambikulam tiger reserve, Choolanur peacock sanctuary are situated nearby).